Friday, January 27, 2012

Who Are Those Guys?


Window Washing the Capital Gate
 Worlds Most Leaning Building

How many climbers will be moving here to wash windows?It’s easy to forget how enormous some of the buildings here are when you see them every day. They still always do catch my eye, though – which is a hazard while driving! The other day I had to take a detour on my way to meet up with Lucy when I saw these guys working on the Capital Gate building.

It was a windy day, which is evidenced by the clouds, and you can hear the wind in the video. When I first saw them, they were all in a horizontal row, swaying in the breeze. By the time I had exited the highway and circled back, one guy was on his way down. Had he had enough, or just run out of water?

I am not fond of heights. Looking up at the Burj Khalifa, with my feet planted firmly on the ground gives me the willies, and I know I’m not the only one. So who are these guys, and where are they from? Do they travel from city to city? How often does a building’s windows get cleaned? With all the glass towers going up here in the dusty Middle East, this has to be a rapidly growing sector of the service industry.

I hope to get answers to some of these questions. Meanwhile, I’m posting photos and video, to share this amazing sight and also to test out a new program that I’m hoping will save time and result in a more professional blog. More fun for readers, less time for me.

A note on video: I need to have more patience and a steadier hand. I’m using my Sony DSC-HX9V which shoots HD video and is the handiest little thing to carry in my bag wherever I go. If you love photography and are looking for a camera, you could own only this camera and be happy. But I zoom too much and turn it off too quickly. And I need to learn how to edit.

Thanks for reading!


No comments: